Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Issue of Barbara Hogan


So to say I was surprised by Barbara Hogan's statements regarding the Dalai Lama is an understatement. Why somebody who's appointment as a minister came as a pleasant surprise would undermine her appointment is a mystery to me. She is not a stupid woman so my interest level rose.

To be honest her statements were honest, true and made with an element of embarrassment for her employer. It’s like she just had to speak out no matter what the repercussions. The Prez is obviously pissed as her statements were not authorised, but like issues of conscience you just get to a point when your true heart and mind tells you what is going on is WRONG!

I got the feeling from watching her on TV that either one of the deals of her acceptance of the ministerial post was that she reserves the right to criticise issues she does not agree with or more likely the Dalai Lama issue was a huge eye opener and she realised she had signed up for something that was just not up to the playing field.

Let’s not forget that though the ANC thought this event was going to pass without much incident it has blown up into an international news issue. DO YOU KNOW SOUTH AFRICA IS THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD OTHER THAN CHINA TO REFUSE THE DALAI LAMA A VISA EVER?

The decision effects the two most important issues related to government, domestic and foreign policy. From a domestic viewpoint the ANC government has shocked voters and supporters by trying to suppress the views of a suppressed minority. Maybe this is vastly different from a suppressed majority but in my book everybody deserves to be heard.

Lets not forget that her statement only came after Desmond Tutu, FW De Klerk, Mandla Mandela (this was an interesting development, with the chosen one making a very public political statement, doesn't happen often and I couldn’t help but wonder if Nelson was sending a message he could not voice) all criticised the government. The Nobel Peace Prize Committee stood firm with their recipients. And the 2010 Peace conference has now been cancelled.

But more importantly the world now thinks that South Africa is so bedazzled by the investments made by China in our country that we would bar somebody akin to the Pope from entering our democratic country. Who cares what he is here for; I mean the Pope just told the world not to use condoms!!! How much more shit could the Dalai Lama cause? Well evidently quite a bit as he has been banned until after the 2010 World Cup for fear that he will draw attention away from this majestic soccer event.

OK, I'm the first to admit that I'm not gifted but how does a government elected on democratic values, beliefs and convictions justify suppressing the voice of the suppressed minority because it could detract from a sports event. I see Biko, Tambo, and Sisulu rolling over in their graves.

I suspect Barbara Hogan was so shocked by the governments visa issue with the Dalai Lama that she lost the little hope she had that this administration would do the right thing regardless of the financial implications for the country. She has in her short time in office done more for South Africa locally and internationally than her predecessor. Admittedly it’s going to get her fired but I think it was worth it.

Don’t get me wrong, The Prez or should I say ANC Executive have decided she has to go but in light of all the international coverage it would be tantamount to suicide to axe her now. I suspect there will be quite a few more awkward cabinet meetings until the dust settles and she can be despatched with some lame excuse.

I know I’m rambling but I really think we need to support, highlight and encourage people like Barbara Hogan. She has the guts to say when she thinks something is wrong not matter what the implications. And even though I’m sure she did not expect this point to come so early in her career as a minister I salute her for talking her mind.

For some strange reason though through this whole drama I have been thinking how Helen Suzman would have reacted. I think she would have been doing flick flacks through parliament utterly shocked at what she fought for her whole life has been stained by such a pointless yet mammoth event in South African history.

No comments:

Post a Comment